- By: Liberty Roofing Management
- 0 comment
The regular roof inspection is mandatory if you own a multi-family residential, so that you could detect problems early and undertake multi-family roof repair instead of roofing replacement.
Nevertheless, roof problems, especially the ones on multi-family houses, are often quite difficult to detect. Every system in the roof is connected. Therefore, by the time you detect a problem with one part of the roof, it is very possible that in the meantime another system has been damaged.
Why Your Roof Is Functioning Improperly?
Among the many reasons why you may have such problems there are three that are the most common and we will go through each one of them that may result in your multi-family roof repair.
- Many times the core problem comes from an improper manner in which the roof was installed. Be careful who takes care of your roof. In case that the person, responsible for your roof doesn’t know what he or she is doing, you are very likely to have many headaches related to repairing your roof. Make sure that the used materials are of high quality and can resist harsh weather since this could lead to problems such as leaks and blisters in the roofing material.
- Another common scenario is the lack of common maintenance. People often forget that the roof should be checked once in a while. A roof cannot maintain itself. The only way to avoid problems of this matter is to allow a certified person to perform regular routine checks. Even if the roof still doesn’t have any obvious signs of being damaged, it needs to be checked. If you take care of an occurred fault with your roof early, you may save a lot of money.
- And the last reason that doesn’t have to be underestimated is the weather conditions. UV rates during the summer can seriously damage the roofing materials. In case of snow, when melting it can also cause tremendous damages.
When Is It Time To Repair/Replace The Roof?
The presented below cases are the most common ones. Most of them can only be detected from a higher vantage point. Therefore, it might be a good idea for your own safety to trust a specialist to check the roof condition.
- The most common scenario is interior water leak. This is the most obvious sign that you need a multi-family roof repair. The water may leak on your ceiling, on your walls, or on your floor- it doesn’t matter- in each case it means that something wrong is going on with your roof and this may result in damaging your insulation, drywall, paint, and wallpaper.
- When bubbles indicate that your roof has trapped moisture which may be the reason for serious damages due to the weather conditions since it weakens the roofing materials.
- In case that the water enters into your property, there is a possibility that the flashing has been damaged. This may happen due to bad weather conditions or faulty installation.
- If you notice granules in the gutter system, this is a very serious indication that your shingle roof needs replacement.
Roof Repair OR Roof Replacement?
In a case of damage, the most secure and reliable way to deal with the situation is to ask you contractor for a cost analysis. They should give you detailed information of your roof’s condition. If the roof is in generally good condition except for the system that needs repairing, then, maybe, it is best for you and your budget to just repair the current roof. However, if the scenario, in which it is possible to occur more troubles with the roof, then, a warranted new roof is probably the best option for you.
Replacing The Roof Step By Step
Replacing a roof of a multi-family residence can become a lot more frustrating and partly impossible than changing the roof of a single-family residence. This can get complicated rather easily.
- The first thing you need to do is to investigate the damages and get an offer to repair it. He may suggest multi-family housing roof replacement in case that the roof replacement is not feasible.
- After this, the property manager is responsible for engaging the HOA Board of Directors. The reason for this is that in most cases the covenants need to approve the new roof esthetics. It would be a problem if the roof you have chosen does not match in terms of materials or design with the other roofs of the area. Mixing roof types may lead to warranty and repair issues.
- You need to know who is responsible for each part of the property. HOA usually gives governing documents to the homeowners at purchase. While the HOA is responsible for the roof replacement, it is your responsibility to take care of the interior repairs, such as ceiling replacement.
Your Responsibilities To finish The Multi-Family Roof Repair Successfully
- Choosing the right contractor carefully is of great importance. Usually, when you contact them, they should navigate you during the whole process as the more experienced ones in a similar situation. By choosing the right contractor, you guarantee yourself safety and comfort and successful project at the end.
- Picking the right roofing material is something that you should give a thought. Despite the fact that your choice depends on the existing structure, you still have some choices to make. Among the most used materials are shingle, liquid applied membrane, single-ply and others. Your contractor can help you with this choice.
- In order to prevent similar problems in the future, we recommend you implement a future maintenance plan. If damage is detected early, you may skip all the process of the multi-family roof repair. This plan should include twice-yearly routine inspections and one following every period of harsh weather.
- It is important to keep good terms with all the residents while doing changes like this. Communicating with them and making sure that everyone is aware of the inconvenience of the whole process can save you a lot of headaches.
A multi-family roof repair is definitely an inconvenient process but with the right knowledge, strategy and contractor things can become sensitively easier. We are here to help.